Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Shakiest Gun Shot Liberty Valance (and missed)

A couple of weeks ago I was suddenly struck by some memories of a movie I watched repeatedly as a kid: The Shakiest Gun in the West. I remembered the line "...a...seven-shooter?" and realized that entire scene was a comedic riff on a much better film, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Just now I happened to read the plot synposis of Shakiest Gun, and even the basic premise (educated/effeminate wimp sets out to civilize the west) is borrowed from Liberty Valance. It's probably been at least 14 years sine I watched Shakiest Gun...maybe I'll keep it that way. My fond memories of Don Knotts might be safest left alone.

3 comments:

FitwithLizzie said...

Hey! We just watched Liberty Valance last week! Weird coincidence. It was all right, I guess. It was no Will Ferrell movie.

:-O

I kid. :-)

Matt Oquist said...

Heh. I should watch LV again; it's been three years now since I've seen it.

FitwithLizzie said...

Are you gonna grow the Jesus beard again? It's so funny to see your avatar the way you used to look -- we've gotten so used to the preppy Matt it's hard to remember you in the OG style. :-)

See you and Jen sunday -- we're so glad her retinas are properly affixed again.